Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Stanley's First Adventures in Virginia

Hello Mrs. Heath;
 
I will be attaching pictures of Flat Stanley's visit with us here in Virginia.  I am Ty Rouse's Great Uncle Fred. We will be mailing Stanley back with his state fact sheet today or tomorrow.  We have enjoyed having Stanley visit and we are honored to have been chosen to be a part of this project.  I will give a short description of the pictures I am attaching using their file names.  Again, thank you for allowing us to be a part of this project.
 
 "My new friends Ty's Uncle Freddie and Aunt Sheri took me out on my first day of my visit.  They took me to an outdoor mall called the Peninsula Town Center.  It has a lot of stores and restaurants.  It even has a movie theater that you can eat a full meal as you watch the movie!
 
  "I got to go eat at a Mongolian BBQ place.  You put all your food into a bowl and they cook with for you with some spicy sauces.  They even let me help on the grill in this picture."
 
 
 "Here I was hanging out with my new Mongo friends!"
 
 
 "The next day I went to work with Aunt Sheri.  She is a manager at a McDonalds.  The crew let me work a shift with them.  In this picture I am working at the Drive-Thru window."
 
 "Here I am in the back making some tasty burgers!"
 
 "They even let me make french fries!"
 
Continuing Flat Stanley's adventures in Virginia...
 
"Next, Uncle Freddie took me to the comic book store he goes to.  Ty visits here when he comes to Virginia."
 
 "Superman, yes!"
 

 "Flying with the comic book characters!"

 "Reading is fun!"

 "This is Richard. 
 
 He is the owner of the comic book store.  He is very nice.  He showed me lots and lots of cool comic books during my visit!"
 
In this part of my adventures in Virginia, we visit the Yorktown Battleground Victory Center in Yorktown, Virginia.  Uncle Freddie and aunt Sheri live in Yorktown so it was  a very short trip to get here.

 "Me at the sign for the museum."
 
 "Signs like these helped me to understand how different the world was during the time of the American Revolution,"

 "This was a copy of the Declaration of Independence.  This is what caused us to fight the British for our freedom."
 
 
 
  "Swords like these were used in the Battle of Yorktown.  It was the last battle of the American Revolutionary War."

 
 
 "This is how the people looked back in those days."
 
 "Soldiers would sleep in tents like these.  There would be six soldiers in each tent.  I am glad I have a warm bed at home instead of this straw stuff!"

 "They even had doctors back then.  This is some of the stuff the doctors used to try and help the soldiers."

 "This soldier is showing how they fired their guns during the battle."
 
 "My new soldier friend!"
 "A statue of the general of the American army who won the battle, General George Washington.  I also learned he was our first President of the United States later."

 "As I was leaving I noticed they even had my name of the door!  I liked the Yorktown Battleground Victory Center!"

Next we go to Jamestown Settlement, the first settlement in the United States!


Finally, I got to visit the Jamestown Settlement.  This was the first permanent settlement in the "New World", which would later become the United States of America.  This is where John Smith and Pocahontas lived.

 "The welcome sign to the Jamestown Settlement."
"This is a cannon like the ones used on the ships that came over from England."
 

 "People came over on ships like the one behind me."

 "Another ship.  They were not very big.  It must have been crowded on the ships."

 "Whoa, this is a BIG anchor!"

I have enjoyed my time here in Virginia, but now I want to go back to Eastern Wayne to be with Ty and my friends.  I will be coming home soon.

-Stanley
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment